California Military History Museums
Table of Contents
- Aerospace Museum of California - McClellan Park
- Air Force Flight Test Museum - Edwards AFB
- Alcatraz Island - San Francisco
- American Armory Museum - Fairfield
- Aviation Museum of Santa Paula - Santa Paula
- California State Military Museum - Sacramento
- Camp Cady - Newberry Springs
- Camp Roberts Historical Museum - San Miguel
- Castle Air Museum - Atwater
- Chico Air Museum - Chico
- Classic Rotors Museum - Ramona
- Columbia Memorial Space Center - Downey
- Commemorative Air Force Southern California Wing - Camarillo
- Drum Barracks - Los Angeles
- Estrella Warbird Museum - Paso Robles
- Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum - San Diego
- Fort Alcatraz - San Francisco
- Fort MacArthur - Los Angeles
- Fort Tejon - Lebec
- General George S. Patton Memorial Museum - Chiriaco Summit
- Hiller Aviation Museum - San Carlos
- Joe Davies Heritage Airpark - Palmdale
- Lyon Air Museum - Santa Ana
- March Field Air Museum - Riverside
- Mare Island - Vallejo
- Maritime Museum San Diego - San Diego
- MCRD San Diego Command Museum - San Diego
- Museum of Flying - Santa Monica
- National Training Center and 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment Museum - Fort Irwin
- Naval Museum of Armament & Technology - Ridgecrest
- Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad & Transportation Museum - Nevada City
- Nike Missile Site SF-88 - Mill Valley
- Oakland Aviation Museum - Oakland
- Pacific Coast Air Museum - Santa Rosa
- Palm Springs Air Museum - Palm Springs
- Planes of Fame Air Museum - Chino
- San Diego Air & Space Museum - San Diego
- San Diego Air & Space Museum Annex (Gillespie Field) - El Cajon
- Saxon Aerospace Museum - Boron
- SS Jeremiah O'Brien - San Francisco
- SS Lane Victory - San Pedro
- SS Red Oak Victory - Richmond
- The Marine Corps Mechanized Museum - Oceanside
- Travis Air Force Base Heritage Center - Fairfield
- US Navy Seabee Museum - Port Hueneme
- USS Dolphin (AGSS-555) - San Diego
- USS Hornet (CV-12) - Alameda
- USS Iowa (BB-61) - Los Angeles
- USS LCS(L)(3)-102 - Vallejo
- USS Lucid (MSO-458) - Stockton
- USS Midway Museum - San Diego
- USS Pampanito (SS-383) - San Francisco
- USS San Francisco Memorial - San Francisco
- Veterans Museum and Memorial Center - San Diego
- Vietnam Helicopters Museum - Concord
- Western Museum of Flight - Torrance
- Wings of History Museum - San Martin
- WWII/Korea LVT Museum - Oceanside
- Yanks Air Museum - Chino
California Military History Museums Directory
The Chico Air Museum is a must-see for aviation enthusiasts. Located in California, this museum showcases aircraft from all over the world, from military planes to record-breaking propellers and jets. You can experience different eras in aviation history by browsing the impressive collection of vintage and modern aircraft on display. The staff is knowledgeable and passionate about the science and artistry of flight, and they are always willing to answer questions or share stories about the planes' histories. They also offer educational tours where visitors can learn more about the impact of aviation throughout history. If you're looking for a unique, interactive experience, the Chico Air Museum is an ideal destination!
The Lyon Air Museum in Santa Ana, California is a world-renowned museum that houses an impressive collection of over 100 vintage aircraft and vehicles. The museum was founded in 1985 by Major General William Lyon, a retired United States Air Force officer. The Lyon Air Museum is dedicated to preserving the history of aviation and educating the public about the science and technology of flight. The museum's collection includes aircraft from the Wright brothers to the Space Shuttle, and everything in between. The museum also has a number of interactive exhibits that are perfect for families and children of all ages. If you're interested in learning about the history of aviation, or if you're just looking for a fun day out, the Lyon Air Museum is definitely worth a visit.
The Oakland Aviation Museum offers a unique and immersive experience for travelers of all ages. From the stimulating collection of historical aircrafts to vibrant educational exhibits, visitors will be enthralled with their tour through aviation history. Before visiting, be sure to check out their schedule of open cockpit days. On open cockpit days, visitors get the unique experience of climbing inside these amazing aircraft; an experience not often granted in most aviation museums.
Are you looking for an unforgettable, historical experience that can transport you back in time? Look no further than a trip on the SS Lane Victory, located in San Pedro, California. Built nearly 75 years ago in 1945, this 455-foot cargo ship has served in both World War II and the Korean War, gaining recognition as one of the few remaining fully operational vessels from the World War II era.
The SS Lane Victory is now open to the public and is one of only 3 victory ship museums. This breathtaking vessel includes a variety of amenities and features to make your experience truly memorable. The knowledgeable onboard tour guides provide insight into the vessels past and present. From learning about its involvement in battles during World War II and Korea to listening to stories about the brave men who worked aboard it throughout its life, there are endless opportunities for education on board the SS Lane Victory.
This historic ship also offers a number of fun activities for visitors looking for entertainment. Take a self-guided tour around the ship’s many decks or explore its galley full of artifacts from its days at war. Not only will you have access to some amazing sights as you explore what was once home to hundreds of sailors, but you will also find plenty of interactive elements such as battle stations where you can test your knowledge about guns and other weapons used by military personnel throughout history.
The SS Lane Victory is a unique educational opportunity offering a peek into our past like no other place on earth. Its crew members are proud to share their knowledge with all those willing to learn while they create an atmosphere full of fun and excitement – perfect for families seeking an exciting destination away from their normal routine! So if you’re in search of something special, visit San Pedro today and set sail aboard this piece of American history at the SS Lane Victory!
The SS Red Oak Victory is one of the more unique experiences to explore the history of our nation's naval past. Boasting a rich and varied history, this famous ex-WWII cargo ship has been restored to its original condition, allowing visitors to step back in time and experience life aboard a vessel that was once part of our nation's proudest fleet. With its fully equipped galley, sleeping quarters, and engine room, visitors can get an up close and personal look at what it was like to serve on such a grand vessel. The Red Oak Victory is one of only 3 victory ship museums in the United States.
For those who'd like to take their experience even further, there are many guided tours that can be taken around the ship. These tours will provide visitors with an in depth look at various areas of the SS Red Oak Victory, as well as stories about its past occupants, their extensive voyages, and its eventual decommissioning after World War II.
The SS Red Oak Victory also provides educational opportunities for those interested in learning more about naval history. There are classes available for both adults and children alike focusing on topics ranging from basic navigation skills to U.S. Naval strategy during WW2. Additionally, experts are always on hand to give lectures or answer questions about the history of this majestic vessel.
Finally, no tour would be complete without taking advantage of the stunning views offered by the SS Red Oak Victory's top decks. From here one can take in breathtaking views while learning more about one of America's most treasured vessels. So if you're looking for an exciting adventure that doubles as a fascinating lesson in history, then look no further than the SS Red Oak Victory!
The USS Iowa Museum is an interactive museum located in the historic Port of Los Angeles, California. It offers visitors a unique opportunity to explore the history and legacy of the USS Iowa, a United States Navy battleship that served in World War II, the Korean War, and the Persian Gulf. Visitors can explore all aspects of the ship's past from its construction to its modern-day preservation efforts. Exhibits include artifacts from the ship's time in service, such as photographs, uniforms, weapons and tools used by crew members on board. Tour guides provide fascinating insight into various aspects of life aboard the vessel and help visitors learn about its role in different wars. In addition to exhibits on naval history, guests can find interactive experiences throughout the museum that bring to life how sailors lived on board the USS Iowa. The museum also boasts large-scale models showing off every detail of this impressive battleship during its heydey. With small theatre presentations detailing key moments in U.S navy history as well as guided tours through the restored vessel, the USS Iowa Museum offers a unique opportunity for those interested in learning more about our nation’s naval heritage.
The Vietnam Helicopters Museum in Concord, California is the perfect destination for travelers interested in aviation history. With a variety of military aircraft on display, including UH-1 Huey helicopters used during the Vietnam War, this museum offers more than just a visual experience. Visitors can learn about the brave pilots who operated these historic aircraft and their experiences during the war.
In addition to its impressive collection of Vietnam War–era helicopters, the museum also showcases an array of memorabilia from the era, such as wartime photographs and original uniforms. Plus, you can get up close and personal with some of the aircraft and artifacts on display.
This unique museum is located in one of California’s most stunning areas — Concord. This vibrant city offers plenty of activities while you’re visiting, from outdoor recreation at nearby Mt Diablo State Park to live music shows downtown. While you explore Concord's rich culture and heritage frontiers, be sure to stop by this incredible helicopter museum for an educational experience about America's involvement in one of its most important conflicts.