Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum

arrows down for button Nearby Events
Milsurpia Default Image
Milsurpia Default Image: Email us to provide your own!

About

Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum does not have a description. If you would like to provide one, please feel free to contact us.

Location

Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum

Coffeyville, Kansas
Lat: 37.06, Long: -95.6 Google Maps

Website

Map of allCoffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum nearby military sites maximize icon FULL SCREEN
Upcoming Events

Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum does not have any events listed here. If you would like to add one contact us.

Nearby Military History
Milsurpia Default Image
49.2 Miles
Cabin Creek Battlefield
Big Cabin, Oklahoma
Milsurpia Default Image
51.5 Miles
J. M. Davis Arms and Historical Museum
Claremore, Oklahoma
Milsurpia Default Image
53.5 Miles
Fort Belmont
Jackson, Kansas
Fort Belmont, in southern Woodson County, Kansas, was built about 1860 near the town of Belmont. It was to protect the settlers there from attacks by Border Ruffians and Indians. The fort consisted of three or four officer cabins, a redoubt about a quarter of a mile to the north and a parade ground a mile to the east. The redoubt was an earthwork and log structure. Historian Daniel C. Fitzgerald visited the ruins of the redoubt and reported it to be rectangular, 150 feet by 60 feet across. The earthworks were the base of the structure. On top of the earthworks were four layers of logs. The wall was said to be fairly high. A house was built in the center of the redoubt. Fort Belmont was manned by local militia under the command of Capt. Joseph Gunby. A Federal agency for the Osage and Creek Indians was located at Fort Belmont until 1864, possibly until October. In 1861 Creek Indian leader Opothleyahola led around 10,000 followers to Kansas to escape the pursuit of Confederates in present-day Oklahoma. Little protection was offered to them at Fort Row in Wilson County, so the survivors were moved to Fort Belmont where more than 240 refugees died during the winter of 1861/62 when the Union army was unable to provide sufficient food and shelter; their unmarked graves, including those of Opotheleyahola and his daughter, are nearby. On October 30, 1864, Gov. Thomas Carney relieved the militia from duty and Fort Belmont was permanently closed. The town of Belmont was abandoned soon thereafter. (Source: Wikipedia)
Milsurpia Default Image
61 Miles
Tulsa Air and Space Museum & Planetarium
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Milsurpia Default Image
74.3 Miles
Battle of Carthage
Carthage, Missouri
Milsurpia Default Image
81.5 Miles
Newtonia Battlefield
Newtonia, Missouri
Milsurpia Default Image
89.4 Miles
Mine Creek Battlefield State Historic Site
Pleasanton, Kansas
Milsurpia Default Image
89.7 Miles
USS Batfish (SS-310)
Muskogee, Oklahoma
The USS Batfish rests at the Muskogee War Memorial Park in Muskogee Oklahoma. The Batfish is Oklahoma’s only submarine! Visitors coming to see the USS Batfish will quickly learn there is much more to this park than just the submarine. Visitors are treated to over 8 acres of land dedicated to military history. Aside from just a great day learning about the USS Batfish, visitors also have the opportunity to take part in overnight experiences or even host events on location. Be sure to check out the Muskogee War Memorial Park website and Facebook for more information. As usual, we recommend calling locations in advance if traveling from afar. USS Batfish (SS/AGSS-310), is a Balao-class submarine, known primarily for the remarkable feat of sinking three Imperial Japanese Navy submarines in a 76-hour period, in February 1945. USS Batfish is the first vessel of the United States Navy to be named for the batfish, a fish found off the coast of Peru, at depths ranging from 3 to 76 metres. Originally to be named Acoupa, hull SS-310 was renamed Batfish on 24 September 1942 prior to its keel laying on 27 December 1942. The Batfish was constructed at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard Kittery, Maine and launched 5 May 1943 sponsored by Mrs. Nellie W. Fortier; and commissioned 21 August 1943, with Lieutenant Commander Wayne R. Merrill in command. (Source: Wikipedia)
Milsurpia Default Image
89.7 Miles
Fort Gibson
Fort Gibson, Oklahoma
}
Nearby Events
cheverons left icon CLOSE MAP