PT658 was originally scheduled to serve in Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron 45, assigned to the Pacific theater. However the squadron was never commissioned and just prior to war’s end PT658 along with eleven sister boats, PT649 through 660, were rescheduled for Lend-lease to the Russia. Fortunately for today’s PT boat fans and enthusiasts, the war’s end cancelled the Lend-lease’s transfer of the final four boats to Russia, with PT658 being one of the four....PT658 was used by the Navy until 1958 for missile test range picket duty, engineering development of radars for air launched missiles, and to resupply a USAF radar station on Santa Rosa Island. In the Santa Rosa role PT658 would run approximately 150 hours per month on 3 weekly round trips transporting supplies and personnel.Upon release from Naval service in 1958, PT658 was purchased by an individual in the Oakland, Ca. area who converted it into a pleasure boat and installed diesel engines. PT658 was renamed as the "Dolphin" and eventually fell into disrepair until it was donated to the Portland PT veterans by the family who owned it.... The goal of Save the PT Boat Inc. is to restore the PT658 back to her "as-built" condition which can then be used as a living history display.This is an excerpt from the organizations website. You can follow the links below to contact them and organize tours and rides!
Last Updated On: 12/15/2020 7:31:11 PM
Last Updated By: Milsurpia Admin